Gender-based persecution of LGBTI persons in Iran and around the world
Side event at the 54th session of the Human Rights Council
Date: Thursday, 14 September 2023
Time: 15:00-16:00 Central European Summer Time (CEST)
Location: hybrid event (in person: Room XXV, Palais des Nations, Geneva; online: follow this link to join the event)
The image is surrounded by a frame in the colour of the Pride flag, and mentions date, location, language, speakers and moderator
of the HRC54 side event HRC54 side event: 'Gender-based persecution of LGBTI persons in Iran and around the world'
Marking the one-year anniversary of the crackdown against nationwide protests in Iran, this event aims to highlight the findings of a research report on the gender-based persecution of LGBTI persons during the protests, soon to be released by 6Rang and titled War on Bodies and Minds.
The panellists will explore not only Iran's circumstances but also bridge the report's findings with ongoing discussions about LGBTI persons in similar contexts around the world – including in Afghanistan, Mali and Iraq - and analyse the applicability of the legal framework of the crime of gender persecution.
- Justice for Iran
- ILGA World
- Shadi Amin, Founder and Executive Director, 6Rang
- Luz Elena Aranda, Secretary General, ILGA World
- Sareta Asharph, international expert on gender and genocide; Senior Legal Advisor, Center for Justice and Accountability
- Akila Radhakrishnan, President, Global Justice Center
- moderator: Kseniya Kirichenko, UN Programmes Manager, ILGA World