Do you know what the UN Treaty Bodies are? Do you know how to engage with them to advocate for sexual orientation, gender identity/expression and sexual characteristics (SOGIESC) rights?
Join our webinar on June 26th to learn more about Treaty Bodies from the experiences of LGBTI advocates!
webinar: UN Treaty Bodies in LGBTI advocacy
Date: Wednesday 26 June 2020
Time: 5:00 PM Central European Summer Time
We will present to you some of the resources published by ILGA World in this regard that can contribute to your advocacy work.
Advocates from Latin America will share with us their practical knowledge on engaging with Treaty Bodies to advance the rights of LGBTI persons.
We will hear their experiences and learn about challenges and good practices when engaging with the CEDAW Committee, the Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture (SPT) and the Human Rights Committee.
Join us and ask any questions you may have about Treaty Bodies!
Alma Aguilar Betancurt, ILGA World
Alma Aguilar Betancurt, UN Advocacy Intern / ILGA World
Gloria Careaga, General Coordinator, Fundación Arcoíris, Mexico
Dania Linker, Volunteer for the Research Unit, OTD, Chile
Andrea Ayala, Human rights defender from El Salvador
- Presenting ILGA World webinar series
- United Nations Treaty Bodies in LGBTI advocacy: experiences, challenges and opportunities (60 min):
- Presentation on Treaty Bodies (what are they and how to engage) (Alma Aguilar, ILGA World)
- Engaging with CEDAW; submitting shadow reports to CEDAW
(Gloria Careaga, Fundación Arcoíris, Mexico)
- Engaging with CEDAW and the Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture (SPT);
(Dania Linker, OTD, Chile)
- Engaging with the HRCtee
(Andrea Ayala, El Salvador)
- Q&A session (15 min)
- Conclusion (5 min)