Opportunity at ILGA World:
Senior MEL Officer
Deadline for applications: Friday 7 April 2023 – 1 PM (Central European Summer Time, CEST)
Start of the position: 2 May 2023
The image shows a background in six rounded frames, each of them with a colour of the Pride flag.
Text reads: "We are hiring! Senior MEL Officer," and offers details about the opportunity, deadline to apply, and who can apply. The ILGA World logo sits at the bottom centre of the image.
Who can apply?
- with dedication - and experience in regard - to the human rights of persons with diverse sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions and sex characteristics (SOGIESC)
- who meets the requirements set out below
is welcome to apply.
ILGA World seeks a Senior MEL Officer to execute ILGA World’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Framework, including impact documentation and storytelling.
The position is part of the Fundraising and MEL team. The Team will consist of the Fundraising and MEL Manager, the Senior MEL Officer, and consultants. The Fundraising and MEL Team closely collaborates internally with all staff members, the Board of Directors, and externally with donors, partners, and various LGBTI communities.
The role of the Senior MEL Officer is to
- Source, develop, and implement technology and tools for impact measurement
- Implement and facilitate learning activities at ILGA World, including an annual learning cycle.
- Support the Fundraising and MEL Manager in relationship-building activities and fundraising.
- Conduct outcome harvesting and internal information gathering to create reporting materials for various audiences on the activities, outputs, results, and impact of ILGA World’s programmes, projects, and initiatives.
- Liaise closely with colleagues within ILGA World to deliver these responsibilities, especially the programmes staff.
The Senior MEL Officer reports to the Fundraising and MEL Manager.
The selected candidate will ideally start working on 2 May 2023.
The Senior MEL Officer is responsible for all MEL activities, reporting and supporting all ILGA World staff and consultants in their activity planning.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Improve, review, and oversee the execution of the MEL framework of ILGA World
- Support all staff to apply new and proven approaches to monitoring, evaluation, and learning through training and technical support
- Establish and administer a project management tool that includes a planning calendar, input collection and review, checkpoints, and integration of all activities
- Produce, in partnership with the Senior Management Team and the Fundraising & MEL Manager, an annual plan to present to the Board and external partners
- Support the Senior Management Team and organisation in the development of a strategic plan and annual planning processes.
- Conduct Impact Data collection activities on all programmes, projects, initiatives, and activities of ILGA World, including, when relevant, 6-month, 1-year, 3-year, and 5-year follow-up activities with beneficiaries of ILGA World’s actions
- Produce high-quality impact reports, on quarterly, annual, and strategic plan period bases, for the organisation that meet or exceed donor requirements
- Author external reports, case studies, discussion papers, briefs, and other appropriate documents to tell of the story of ILGA World’s successes and learning, in consultation with the communications team
- Support the Fundraising and MEL manager in building cases for support and giving campaigns, in collaboration with the Communications team
- Collaborate with the Fundraising & MEL Manager to implement a donor management system.
- Research baseline data for ILGA World and produce baseline reports or inputs to MEL Frameworks, logic models, and performance measurement tools
- Implement mid-term, and final evaluations, to ensure a standard of data quality across outputs, ensuring continuous improvement through real-time MEL feedback into ongoing programmes, projects, and results towards the strategic plan
- Oversee the procurement of external evaluators with the Senior Management Team, Fundraising & MEL Manager, and the Board
- Act as the point of contact with external consultants related to MEL activities.
- Contribute to the development of the strategic plan with coordination of inputs, scheduling consultations and workshops, liaising with external consultants, developing discussion frameworks, and compilation of the final document.
- Working from the existing planning, monitoring, and evaluation cycle, to design a suitable learning and reflection model with the Management Team.
- Support both team and individual learning processes, which leads to capturing learning outcomes to advance the attainment of objectives and goals as established in the annual work plans and the strategic plan of ILGA.
ILGA World values creative and inclusive approaches to work and management that have been achieved through cross-service area working and the participation of staff at all levels in the organisation. Staff have line management arrangements and specific key relationships which are detailed in their job descriptions, but will also need to work collaboratively with their colleagues in order to achieve their agreed targets and outcomes to the required standards.
- Actively contribute to promoting and achieving the organisation’s objectives
- Ensure that all activities are carried out with full regard to policies on diversity and equal opportunities
- Ensure compliance with such laws and regulations as may be applicable to the operations of the Service Area
- Undertake all duties in compliance with health and safety regulations and legislation
- Undertake other duties that may be reasonably required from time to time.
Performance of duties, remuneration, and benefits
- ILGA World is currently introducing a flexible workplace regime – under the new rules, this position will be implemented remotely. We do not offer relocation to our headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland
- The position is advertised as an 80% position
- ILGA World remunerates under a three-tiered salary matrix structure. The annual salary being offered for the post ranges between CHF 65,520 and CHF 82,800 for a full-time position, depending on the location. This amount is pro-rated to 80%
- In addition, ILGA World offers 25 days annual leave and contributions to health care costs (pro-rated to 80%)
- The standard weekly working time is 37.5 hours on a 100% position.
The successful candidate should be strongly committed to working for human rights and equality, and have competencies and demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in MEL
- Membership in or certification by MEL, Fundraising or Communications organizations and societies is an asset
- Understanding and experience working in trauma-informed workplaces, and membership organisations
- Practical work experience facilitating planning, learning, and reflection within organizations, staff teams, and with individuals.
- Practical work experience devising learning opportunities and processes for MEL systems, documenting impact, and storytelling.
- Understanding of membership network organization structures and systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Fluency in Spanish and French is also highly desirable. Other languages, especially UN languages, are an asset.
- Direct experience of working in Global South contexts
- Availability for international travel related to events and training organisation
- A team player, contributing to the work of ILGA as a whole
How to apply
The application for this position needs to be submitted online here: https://recruitment.ilga.org/senior_MEL_officer_application
We recommend you download the application form in Word format, prepare your application and copy/paste it into the application form.
Should there be well-found reasons why this was not possible, you may submit the application form as well by e-mail to development(at)ilga.org.
Rename this file SURNAME_Name_MELso.docx. For instance: SMITH_John_MELso.docx before you submit it.
Should you have questions in regard to this call, please reach out to development(at)ilga.org.
7 March 2023 Call for candidates
7 April 2023, 1:00 pm CEST Deadline for applications
14 April 2023 Shortlisted candidates are invited for interviews
17-21 April 2023 Interviews with shortlisted candidates and skills exercise
By April 30 2023 Offer is made
May 2023 Successful candidate takes up position (if notice period allows)
ILGA World equal opportunities policy
ILGA World is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
ILGA World is committed to social justice, regardless of any individual or group characteristics, including gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sex characteristics, race, age, disability, ability, economic status, national origin, religion, ethnicity, and historical, cultural, and geographic experiences, nonetheless recognizing the unique challenges faced by individuals with each of these characteristics and by those with intersecting identities.
We offer fair treatment to all current and potential employees, interns and contractors and aim to ensure that all such individuals receive equal treatment (including access to employment, training, and opportunities for promotion, as relevant) regardless of any personal attribute as listed above.
ILGA World promotes gender and equality mainstreaming and actively promotes equality in all policies and actions. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Lesbian and bisexual women, intersex persons, trans and non-binary persons, and persons from the Global South are especially encouraged to apply. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
If more than one applicant is considered equally qualified for the position, priority will be given to applicants from marginalised and/or underrepresented groups.