Terms of Reference:
Invitation to bid for consultancy services – IDAHOBIT and campaigns
The image shows a background in six rounded frames, each of them with a colour of the Pride flag. Text reads: “Invitation to bid - consultancy services - IDAHOBIT and campaigns” and offers details about the opportunity, deadline for bids, and objective and scope of the consultancy. The ILGA World logo sits at the bottom centre of the image.
ILGA World (The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association) is seeking a consultant to coordinate, expand, and monitor global activities around one of the few truly global events celebrated by people of diverse sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions and sex characteristics (SOGIESC) and allies across the world: specifically the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia (IDAHOBIT).
ILGA World is a worldwide federation of more than 1,800 organisations from over 160 countries and territories campaigning for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex human rights, since 1978.
We want a world where the human rights of all are respected and where everyone can live in equality and freedom: a world where global justice and equity are assured and established regardless of people’s SOGIESC.
ILGA World has ECOSOC consultative status at the United Nations. Our members are based in our six regions: Pan Africa ILGA, ILGA Asia, ILGA-Europe, ILGALAC (Latin America and the Caribbean), ILGA North America and the Caribbean, and ILGA Oceania.
Governed by an elected Board of 19 activists representing our global family, ILGA World is queer democracy in action. For more information, look at https://ilga.org.
Celebrated every year on 17 May, the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia (IDAHOBIT) is one of the few truly global events marked by people of diverse SOGIESC and allies across the world.
As of January 2023, ILGA World will take a more active and coordinating role - together with the Global IDAHOBIT Working Group - to facilitate participation at all levels in such a relevant day for our communities worldwide.
Therefore, we are seeking a creative, innovative, and dedicated individual for the role of Consultant on IDAHOBIT and campaigns: this is an exciting opportunity to use your campaigning and communications skills to coordinate, expand, and monitor global activities around this global event.
Objective and scope
The objective and the scope of this consultancy is to expand, and monitor global activities, and coordinate communications around the 2023 edition of IDAHOBIT.
Under the supervision of ILGA World’s Communications Manager and the Global IDAHOBIT Working Group, the role requires to actively seek and strengthen connections with potential global stakeholders to be involved in celebrations around the day, and manage all global communications related to IDAHOBIT.
The Consultant will have to be a creative and collaborative individual with a proven track record of developing mobilisation and awareness campaigns, strong connections with LGBTI grassroots communities globally combined with the passion for sensitively engaging with them, and a strong “nothing about us without us” principle.
The Consultant will start working in February 2023, and finish in late July 2023. After these six months, the consultancy is subject to renewal, depending on available funding.
The selected Consultant must have:
- a solid understanding of issues impacting LGBTI communities worldwide, and a commitment to raising the voices of people of diverse and marginalised SOGIESC
- a proven experience in developing mobilisation and awareness campaigns, especially for and within social justice movements
- some experience in working on community organising and advocacy, and the ability to relate local concerns for grassroots LGBTI communities to global level campaigns
- strong, long-fostered connections with LGBTI grassroots communities across the world, combined with the passion for sensitively engaging with them
- experience with mobilising historic stakeholders for campaign initiatives, and a proactive, creative attitude in seeking out for new ones
- excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- a deep understanding of the importance of tailoring messages for different target audiences, and a taste for creating effective, powerful messages that resonate with a diverse group of people and prompt them to take action
- experience in managing content for a website (based on WordPress) and accounts on a diverse range of social media platforms
In addition, these abilities would be considered a strong asset for the job:
- excellent oral and written communication skills in Spanish, or other official UN languages other than English
- the propensity to create powerful and persuasive content that suits current and emerging platforms, including on social media
- proficiency in using graphic design, audio, and video editing software (Adobe Suite or equivalent)
The selected consultant ideally also has
- experience in working remotely
- the ability to build relations with people from across cultures and diverse walks of life, and to work effectively in a team with a flexible, collaborative attitude
- experience in working in Global South and Global East contexts
The consultant is expected to:
1. cooperate with the global IDAHOBIT Working Group to
- monitor information and collect data (qualitative and quantitative) around any IDAHOBIT-related activity across the world
- foster global mobilisation around IDAHOBIT
- develop and implement a communications policy around 17 May
- coordinate the creation of shareable items (social media assets, as well as posters, digital toolkits, etc.) around it
- keep the IDAHOBIT website up to date with key information regarding global, regional, and country-level events
- write, oversee editing, and disseminate the annual report about the event
2. occasionally support the ILGA World communications team to develop organisation’s own campaigns
Timeframe of the consultancy
The project will start on 1 February 2023 and will conclude on 31 July 2023. After these six months, the consultancy position is subject to renewal, depending on available funding.
Bidders should provide a quote for the completion of all work with their application.
The compensation shall be due and payable upon receipt of monthly invoices, with outstanding balances cleared out after the completion of the consultancy.
Travel costs to meetings should not be included in the bid. Travel related expenses will be covered by ILGA World directly.
Bids should be sent by Monday 23 January 2023, 9am Central European Time (CET).
The bid should contain:
- The bidder’s curriculum vitae
- Methodology of proposed approach – and calendar of proposed activities - to coordinate, expand, and monitor global activities around the 2023 edition of IDAHOBIT
- A full quote for the work (all types of costs shall be given in CHF, excluding VAT)
- A short text (max 200 words) providing an example that illustrating the bidder‘s experience in working on community organising and advocacy, and the ability to relate local concerns for grassroots LGBTI communities to global level campaigns (if the bidder does not have such experience, they should explain what would be their preferred methods to liaise with grassroots LGBTI communities and involve them in the global IDAHOBIT celebrations)
- A portfolio showing a maximum of 5 (five) examples of experiences in developing and implementing campaigns through various media.
These examples of outputs can include - but are not limited to- content prepared for mobilisation and awareness media campaigns, articles and essays, visual content (graphic design and documents layout), videos, podcasts, curated content for websites and/or social media that the Consultant has created or contributed to. Any individual contribution to the project(s) must be outlined clearly if any of the included outputs were made in collaboration with others.
Bids are to be submitted by e-mail to Daniele Paletta, ILGA World’s Communications Manager, at media(at)ilga.org. Please write “ILGA World consultancy: IDAHOBIT and campaigns” in the subject line of the email. Any questions can be directed by e-mail to media(at)ilga.org.
Shortlisted consultants will be contacted during the week between 30 January and 3 February 2023 for an interview. We will not be able to offer any compensation for any of the work included in the bids that will not be selected. After the interviews, the selected consultant will be notified by 3 February 2023.
Please note: ILGA World might select a team of consultants to cover all the objectives mentioned above.
The bids will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- quality of response
- proven knowledge of engaging with LGBTI grassroots communities
- feasibility and time-effectiveness of proposed activities
- value-for-money approach: bids that provide the best overall value for money - taking into account quality, cost, experience, and preliminary assessment - will be preferred over unbalanced or abnormally low bids