International Intersex Virtual Forum
public webinar: How to be a good intersex ally
Date: Tuesday 20 October 2020
Time: 2:00-3:30 PM Central European Summer Time
(Montreal 8:00 - 9:30 AM, UTC 12:00-1:30 PM, Melbourne 11:00 PM - 12:30 AM)
English and Spanish (simultaneous interpretation)
Intersex people are born with physical sex characteristics that don’t fit medical norms for female or male bodies. We have many different kinds of bodies and life experiences. Intersex are diverse and includes heterosexual, cis-gender, LGBTQA+, disabled, youth, aged, different cultures and religions, etc.
For decades brave intersex activists have fiercefully revealed the severe human rights violations intersex persons are subjected to across the globe. However it is only rather recently that those human rights violations have received increased attention in both national and international human rights discourses. Often mainstream human rights actors have a lot of good will and good intentions to help end these appalling and harmful practices but they lack the background and knowledge to advocate and engage in these issues.
This webinar is about how to be a good ally to intersex persons and rights. It is about how to build your own knowledge, how to avoid common traps and shortfalls and how to empower intersex human rights defenders and activists without taking their space in human rights discourses.
For more information about Intersex for Allies: https://ihra.org.au/allies
Presentation by Irene Kuzemko: “How to be a great intersex ally: A toolkit for NGOs and decision makers”, a toolkit by OII Europe.
Tony Briffa, Chair of the Intersex Committee of ILGA World and Executive Director of Intersex Human Rights Australia
- Victor Madrigal Borloz; UN Independent Expert on Protection against violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity
- Rosslyn Joy Noonan; CNZM retired Chief New Zealand Human Rights Commissioner and Taine Polkinghorne; Human Rights Advisor SOGISC/Kaitohu Takatāpui
- Ruth Baldacchino; Senior Program Officer, Intersex Human Rights Fund at Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
- Luz Elena Alanda Arroyo; Co-Secretary General of ILGA World
- Rashima Kwatra; International Advocacy Advisor at RFSL - The Swedish Federation for LGBTQI Rights