2022 ILGA World Conference: global call for expressions of interest
to organise a thematic pre-conference
For the 2022 ILGA World Conference, the ILGA World Board is inviting organisations to propose and organise a few thematic pre-conferences.
A thematic pre-conference explores a topic relevant to our communities in greater depth. It needs to have a global dimension, and is ideally organised by a group of cross-regional and cross-LGBTIQ organisations or persons.If you wish to organise a thematic pre-conference at the 2022 World Conference in LA Long Beach, submit your proposal by end of day on 15th October 2021. Please note that organising a selected pre-conference does not grant free access to the conference.
Since the 1970s, ILGA World Conferences have brought together LGBTIQ leaders and activists from all over the world. They have been fundamental events for our movement ever since, and are moments to shape the life of our organisation. ILGA World is queer democracy in action, and it all starts at ILGA World Conferences. The 30th ILGA World Conference, hosted by the It Gets Better Project, will be held in LA Long Beach, California, United States from to 2 to 6 May 2022.
The World Conference Programme consists of keynote speeches, plenaries, workshops, roundtables and mini-panels that seek to address issues relevant to our communities worldwide. Thematic, regional, and identity/community-based pre-conferences and caucuses complement the programme.
If you wish to organise a thematic pre-conference at the 2022 World Conference in LA Long Beach, submit your proposal by end of day on 15th October 2021. Please note that organising a selected pre-conference does not grant free access to the conference.
A thematic pre-conference explores a topic relevant to our communities in greater depth. All thematic pre-conferences need to have a global dimension and are ideally organised by a group of cross-regional and cross-LGBTIQ organisations or persons. In the past these have covered a wide range of issues, ranging from sex work to indigenous issues, from migration and refugees to workplace rights.
For the 2022 World Conference, the ILGA World Board is inviting organisations to propose and organise a few thematic pre-conferences that it can review and add to the programme.
Separately, the ILGA World Board Bisexual, Intersex, Trans, Women and Youth Committees organise thematic pre-conferences for the five population groups they serve, and the ILGA World office will organise a pre-conference on UN Advocacy, so pre-conference proposals should not be made on these six topics as these will be handled separately.
- All pre-conferences will take place on either Monday, May 2 or Tuesday, May 3, 2022
- The time allocation for a pre-conference is either 3 or 4.5 hours. In exceptional cases 6 hours may be granted.
- Being awarded a pre-conference means that you will have a conference room given to you to run your pre-conference inside the conference venue (the Westin Long Beach). The conference rooms available range in capacity from 40 to 200 persons (theatre style).
- We will have space to accommodate between 4 and 6 pre-conferences selected from this call
- We will give preference to pre-conferences that
- are organised by a group of organisations/persons from different world regions and different population groups
- take an intersectional approach to the topic they explore
- have interactive elements in their programme
- are highly relevant to LGBTI communities globally
- have meaningful youth participation as part of their conception and delivery
- ILGA World does not have a budget to cover travel costs for pre-conference speakers, moderators and organisers or other additional participants
- Pre-conferences take place during the ILGA World conference and use the ILGA World conference venue facilities, and so will be open only to people who are registered to attend the ILGA World conference. This includes the organisers and presenters at the pre-conference, who should all be registered to attend the ILGA World conference either as a scholar or a paying-participant.
- Pre-conferences should be open to all conference participants unless there is a well-founded reason to restrict participation (e. g. pre-conferences that serve particular population groups might only be open to the populations they address or serve)
In order to apply for a pre-conference slot, please fill the below application form and send it to [email protected].
Your proposal will be reviewed by the ILGA World Office and Board, and successful bidders will be notified by end of October 2021. Organisers of a successful bid for a pre-conference may be asked to work with ILGA World on finalising the programme.
ILGA World pre-conference application form
Please follow this link to download the application form.
Fill it in, and send it to [email protected] by 15 October 2021 end of day.