Submitted by Nazlı Mayuk on Mon, 03/22/2021 - 22:00
Stemming from feminist theory, intersectionality is a term used to address various intersections of oppression, injustice and discrimination. Want to know why we need intersectionality in LGBTI advocacy? Here are 9 reasons why!
- It helps us to acknowledge multiple layers of our identities, privileges and disadvantages (sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, sex characteristics, -dis-ability, ethnicity and many others).
- By doing so, it enables us to recognise inequalities that stem from intersecting forms of oppression.
- It allows us to claim our voice, subjectivity and agency, and to shape our narratives.
- It helps us shake the institutional systems by identifying invisibilities and pointing out gaps.
- It encourages us to work towards more inclusive social movements.
- It creates opportunities for dialogue.
- It motivates us to work for equity on institutional, community and societal level.
- It encourages solidarity to combat all forms of oppression.
- It makes our LGBTI communities blossom in a great diversity.