THE AFRICA Regional Sexuality Resource Centre (ARSRC) announces the 10th edition of its Annual Sexuality Leadership Development Fellowship (SLDF), scheduled to be held in Lagos, Nigeria from July 14th – 27th, 2013.
The SLDF is organised by the Africa Regional Sexuality Resource Centre (ARSRC), a programme of Action Health Incorporated.
The SLDF is a two-week knowledge management and networking programme organised in response to the human resource gaps among entry and mid-level African professionals working in the field of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
The SLDF is designed to provide participants with the opportunity for:
- Exposure to cutting-edge conceptual, theoretical, contemporary, emerging, programmatic and policy issues in sexuality, sexual health and sexual rights in Africa;
- Exploration and better understanding of the interaction between sexuality, development and social justice; and
- Development of essential leadership, teamwork, and advocacy skills to advance sexual well-being.
UHAI sponsored (5) participants to attend the 9th edition of the SLDF and fellowship participants indicated that this was a useful opportunity. Below is a sample of some of the comments:
“I got exposure to diverse perspectives from other parts of Africa through the sexuality and leadership training fellowship. This was a two weeks training which equipped us with knowledge about the myths and the truth about sexuality in the African context. We got to know how sexuality is viewed and understood in Africa. We were briefed on many topics and we went ahead to understand why a majority of people think gender and sexuality are part of the white ‘mans’ propaganda”
“I had an opportunity to meet and interact with other activists from other regions of Africa”
“I had an opportunity to engage with theoretical aspects of sexuality and had an opportunity to integrate the theory into practice.”
"Through knowledge gained from the training, I’ve been able to give public speeches on sexuality whenever invited or have had an opportunity to attend discussion forums, seminars, trainings or workshops”
“SLDF equipped us with knowledge about the myths and truths about sexuality in the African context. We got to know how sexuality is viewed and understood in Africa”
As part of UHAI’s commitment to supporting the capacity strengthening of our partners, we will support the participation of active members of the LGBTI and sex worker community to attend and participate in this fellowship.
This support is open ONLY to applicants who have submitted applications for the fellowship and have been accepted to attend the leadership fellowship.
In order to submit your application, applicants need to first apply directly to the SLDF fellowship committee by visiting the ARSRC website at www.arsrc.org and downloading the application documents; the deadline to apply for the fellowship is April 30th, 2013.
To apply for travel sponsorship from UHAI, kindly send us an email expressing your interest in attending the fellowship and attach an acceptance notification from the fellowship committee to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send us your application for sponsorship by 20th May 2013.
Successful applicants will be contacted by UHAI on or before 31st May 2013.
Please note that:
- Considerations of diversity and geographical location will be made in selecting successful applicants.
- Applicants need to be involved in organisations that have received funding from UHAI presently, or in the past.
- Applicants need to be active members of the LGBTI and sex worker communities.
- Priority will be given to individuals who have not received past travel sponsorship from UHAI.
- Trans persons, LB women and female sex workers are encouraged to apply.