This is the fourth monthly bulletin by ILGA on UN Special Procedures and sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and sex characteristics (SOGIESC).
This issue includes details of reports that are presented by Special Procedures at the Third Committee of the 72nd session of the General Assembly in New York (September-December 2017); seven open calls for civil society input to Special Procedures reports, ongoing public consultations and the updated list of upcoming country visits. It also includes details of the appointments of Special Procedures at the 36th (September 2017) and 37th (March 2018) HRC, as well as the latest on the appointment of the new Independent Expert on SOGI. Finally you’ll also find the latest statements by mandate holders on LGBTI issues; and an updated list of resources for advocacy with Special Procedures mechanisms.
🌈 We especially highlight the following:
- A few of the reports to the General Assembly, including the second report of the SOGI Independent Expert and the reports of the Special Rapporteurs on cultural rights and NEW! on freedom of religion and belief, both of which also touch on SOGI issues;
- Calls for inputs for the upcoming report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women’s on online violence against women, and NEW! the upcoming report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression on content regulation in the digital age; and ;
- The following upcoming country visits by mandate holders: India (Special Rapporteur on water & sanitation, October-November 2017); NEW! Serbia (Special Rapporteur on torture, November 2017); Chad (Working Group on discrimination against women, December 2017); USA (Special Rapporteur on poverty, December 2017); and Bahamas (Special Rapporteur on violence against women, December 2017).
- NEW! Recently appointed mandate holders, including four members of the Working Group on discrimination against women, as well as the latest on the Independent Expert on SOGI appointment process; and
- NEW! ILGA and ISHR’s updated and amended factsheets on the Working Group on discrimination against women, and on the Special Rapporteur on violence against women. 🌈
We would also be happy to start sharing details of civil society groups or coalitions engaging with specific Special Procedures on SOGIESC issues. In that light, please do let us know if you are coordinating or facilitating such engagement.
We look forward to working with you as you engage with this useful part of the UN system!
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
the October 2017 issue of the
Bulletin on UN Special Procedures and Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity & Expression, and Sex Characteristics (SOGIESC)
UN Programme Officer (Treaty Bodies and Special Procedures), ILGA