ILGA » ILGA Oceania » Simple new process to change sex details on a NZ driver's license


Filter by Show me news ›

Simple new process to change sex details on a NZ driver’s license

The New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) has changed a policy that will make it easier for people to amend the sex/gender details on their driver licence record. Until last November it was not possible for a trans man to get an M passport or a trans woman to get a F passport until their birth certificate had been changed .

Avatar of Alessia Valenza

21st June 2013 09:33

Alessia Valenza | ILGA Oceania

Getting a new birth certificate still involves applying to the Family Court here and, while it is becoming uncommon, there is no guarantee that you won’t be asked to show proof of sterilisation. From last November, all that has been required to change sex details on a passport was a statutory declaration stating your preferred gender and how long you had lived as that gender (with no mimimum period required).

The new driver’s license policy picks up the same statutory declaration option – and also extends it to people without a NZ passport or birth certificate who apply for NZ driver’s license. That will be great for international students and overseas born NZ residents from countries where amending those details on a passport or birth certificate is very hard or impossible.