You will be a central member of ORAM’s management team, overseeing multiple full and part-time staff and contractors as well as legal & non-legal interns. You will work closely with the ORAM team to increase ORAM’s reach on behalf of LGBTI refugees and asylum seekers worldwide. You must be a highly energetic, passionate, professional and intensely committed individual.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, you will:
- Work with the executive director and department heads in the operationalization of ORAM’s advocacy-related strategies
- Help design, create and fund program strategies as possible
- Oversee preparation of ORAM advocacy & position materials and papers (including writing & editing)
- Advocate at meetings and conferences
- Oversee research contractors and interns
- Work with ORAM ED & MarCom Director to promote and amplify ORAM’s mission domestically and internationally
- Conduct advocacy on LGBTI refugee & asylum issues worldwide
- Oversee the provision of legal representation and counseling in the US and abroad as needed
- Build & maintain working relationships and alliances with NGOs, inter-governmental institutions, legal institutions & academia
- Assist with preparation of grant/funding proposals and reports for advocacy work
Required Skills, Experience & Education
- Exceptionally strong oral & written legal communication skills
- Solid working knowledge of asylum & refugee law concepts
- Quick thinker
- Outgoing, positive personality
- Proven commitment to international LGBTI rights & equality
- Self–starter, motivator and implementer with excellent leadership and team ethics
- Proven ability to work well with others, comply with grant requirements and produce timely results
- 2+ years asylum or refugee law experience
- Active California Bar membership
- JD or equivalent law degree (domestic or foreign)
- Ability to travel for periods of 1-2 weeks
Highly Desirable Skills and Experience
- Advocacy and management experience in international refugee IGO/NGO settings
- Knowledge of international & refugee law & procedure
- International legal advocacy experience
Compensation & Benefits
- Health insurance, paid vacation & paid holidays
Accepting Resumes until position is filled
Note: Careful background check will be conduct. Impeccable references required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write “Director of Advocacy & Legal Services” in the “subject” line. No phone calls, please.
ORAM is committed to providing a workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. ORAM believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances the performance of our organization and our ability to fulfill the agency’s mission.
ORAM is committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equal valued and supported. ORAM seeks to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the agency. ORAM recognizes that the diverse knowledge, perspectives, ideas, experiences and qualities of all employees are critical to our success. The leadership and employees of ORAM are committed to achieve and supporting the agency’s ongoing commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace.