The purpose of this coalition is to communicate as one with development partners, regional authorities and international organizations about strategic issues facing Cameroonian organizations.
In the fight for the rights of sexual minorities in Cameroon, the long-decried climate of homophobia has intensified and now has reached a critical point.
The pursuit of our various missions (prevention of STIs / HIV, medical care, advocacy for rights, support of people imprisoned for their sexual orientation and / or gender identity) requires a minimum level of security, institutional support and financial support.
At present, the high level of insecurity in Cameroon has unfortunately led to the murder of Eric Lembembe Ohena of CAMFAIDS. We also note that serious threats have been made against the locations and members of our organizations, to the point where continuing our current work unchanged would be dangerous.
For this reason, we are asking you for additional financial and institutional support to ensure:
- A plan for securing our organizations, officers and members (the costs of around-the-clock guards for our center, insurance, and purchase of surveillance equipment).
- Creation of an emergency fund to defend our organizations and activists
- Establishment of a common activity center in Yaoundé where maximum security can be provided
Because of the dangers of the current situation, in cities of Yaoundé and Douala we are forced to suspend immediately the projects we have with USAID through Care Cameroon and with the Global Fund through CAMNAFAW. Minimal services will continue to be provided to our clients.
We reject a partnership that reduces our associations to simply a labor force that must work in precarious, dangerous conditions.
- Jules ELOUNDOU / Humanity First Cameroon: + 237 99 49 71 24
- Michel ENGAMA / CAMFAIDS: + 237 97 38 97 99
- Parfait BEHEN / Alternatives Cameroon: + 237 99 93 29 65
- Rostand VONDAB / Affirmative Action: + 237 99 25 06 85