HIV Young Leaders Fund (HYLF) is a youth-led organization that enables new leadership in the HIV response among young people most affected by HIV.
HYLF runs a grants program that supports youth-led HIV initiatives around the world for peer-based services, advocacy or community mobilization. HYLF also provides support to grantees to become advocates and links the knowledge of grantees with the broader HIV response. Since beginning in January 2010, HYLF has mobilized nearly $500,000 to youth-led initiatives in
Latin America, sub-Saharan Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe and Central Asia. HYLF is currently fiscally hosted by the Tides Center, a US 501c3 nonprofit.
Position & position responsibilities:
HYLF?s Director is responsible for leading all programmatic and managerial aspects of HYLF. The Director reports to the HYLF Steering Committee (SC), which sets HYLF policies, strategic vision, funding priorities, and reviews Director performance. Eleven different HIV organizations currently sit on the SC to support HYLF and the Director.
This is an opportunity to significantly contribute to the HIV response, and though a challenging position, is incredibly rewarding. HYLF is a lean and flexible organization, and the position can be based from anywhere. The Director will work with young people and HIV colleagues from around the world, and have the opportunity to bring new ideas to HYLF.
The position is full-time. HYLF benefits and vacation policy are generous. Due to the nature of the position, HYLF seeks a two-year intended commitment to the position. The start date is negotiable, but ideally around October 1, 2012.
Please Note: HIV Young Leaders Fund is a youth-led organization. Steering Committee members and staff members are young people.
The Director position essential duties and responsibilities are:
a) Advancing HYLF?s long-term strategy in support of HYLF?s mission, including strategic planning, workplanning and budgeting for multi-year periods.
b) Manage and implement HYLF?s programs, including HYLF?s peer-reviewed grants to youth-led initiatives, technical assistance to grantees, documentation of grantee knowledge and best practices, and joint advocacy with SC member organizations.
c) Oversee monitoring and evaluation of all HYLF programs and processes.
d) Coordinate HYLF?s governance processes, working closely with the SC Chair.
e) Oversee all of HYLF?s operations, including managing any HYLF staff/consultants, managing HYLF?s fiscal hosting relationship, and due diligence of HYLF finances.
f) Fundraising, grants management and donor relations – The Director is responsible for raising funds to deliver HYLF?s annual workplan, working with SC members and Advisors to cultivate new donors, maintain existing donors, and develop proposals. The Director also oversees all HYLF grant reporting. Mobilizing resources is a significant part of the Director?s job.
g) External communications through key communication forums and with strategic partners.
Relevant education and experience:
* At least three years activist or professional experience working on HIV issues and/or international health and human rights, including experience working on these issues in the global South.
* Demonstrated experience fundraising and managing funds successfully, including proposal development, relationship building, and grant reporting.
* Experience and commitment to developing youth leadership and supporting youth-led organizing.
* Advocacy experience at the global, regional or country level on HIV-related issues (human rights, health, etc).
* Significant experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including how to evaluate advocacy and social change ventures which are not ?output? based in nature.
* Demonstrated experience working with young key affected populations in a service, advocacy or other capacity.
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities:
* Significant knowledge in HIV prevention, treatment, care and support for young people, including epidemic dynamics around the world; optimal treatment regimens; barriers to access to essential medicines; best practices for the meaningful involvement of HIV affected communities in programs and decision-making; global health financing mechanisms; and other
* Excellent written and oral communication skills; and strong
understanding of and experience working with print, electronic, online and/or social media.
* A thorough understanding of the current global policy, advocacy and donor environment around HIV and health.
* Experience with budget management and administration.
* Public speaking, including an ability to represent an organization before many audiences and in a wide range of situations.
* Diplomacy and strategic political skills.
* Facilitation and consultation skills.
* Flexibility to enable live contact with colleagues dispersed around the globe in various time zones.
* Demonstrated experience with program management including ability to manage multiple ongoing projects with multiple deliverables and deadlines.
* Demonstrated experience coordinating successful events for different audiences.
* Ability to work efficiently under pressure, with limited day-to-day support.
* Fluency in oral and written English. Additional language fluency a bonus.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office and familiarity with online
technology and information management systems.
* Commitment to a rights-based approach to HIV programming is essential.
* Patience, a sense of humor, and a willingness to take on different projects as need arises are essential. Creativity and critical thinking skills also highly prized!
* Must be willing to travel internationally several times a year.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying, please send a cover letter which details your interest in the position, a CV, two short writing samples in English (1-2 pages, preferably at least one sample was published online or elsewhere), and three references to email@example.com with ?HYLF Director Application? as the subject line.
The deadline to apply is September 5, 2012.
Please no phone calls. Due to limited capacity only those selected for first-round interviews will be contacted.