AMSHeR is the regional coalition of MSM/LGBT led organisations and other organisations that work to protect the rights of LGBTI people and address the vulnerability of gay and bisexual men, male-to-female transgender and other MSM to HIV. It is made up of 15 organizations from Burundi, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
AMSHeR’s principal objectives are:
- Strengthen capacity of national agencies and individuals working to improve policy, legislation and programming related to MSM sexual and reproductive health
- Identify, advocate and increase access for greater resources, including technical and financial, for better access to prevention, treatment and care services.
- Facilitate the creation and dissemination of an evidence base for a better public health response on MSM issues
- Advocate for the protection of LGBT people from human rights violations
Eligibility of Membership
Only organisations and not individuals are eligible to become members. Organizations must fulfil the following requirements in order to be admitted to membership;
- Organisations must be based in Africa;
- Organisations must be doing work on issues affecting Gay men and other MSM’s health and/ or LGBTI rights
- There must be Gay men within the structures and leadership of the applicant organization:
-organisations must be led by Gay men and/or have at least one senior member of staff responsible for programmes designed for gay men and other MSM; or
-Non-Gay men led organisations must demonstrate how they involve Gay men in the organization’s work and in decision-making, particularly around policy and programme development and delivery.
- Organizations must have objectives similar to those of AMSHeR;
- An organization is not required to be registered in order to qualify for membership. However it must have a Constitution.
- Organization has to have governance structures;
Benefit of Membership
- Access to and support from AMSHeR secretariat law and advocacy, public health and communications focal points
- Network endorsement and support of member organisation programmes and projects
- Institutional mentorship programme for organisational capacity development
- Facilitation of participation in regional workshops, conferences and other activities
- AMSHeR membership provides a platform for exchange and learning among MSM organizations, HIV services and advocacy organizations, human rights organizations and other agencies working with and/or for MSM communities.
- Strengthen your organization’s capacity in your work to improve policy, legislation and programming related to MSM sexual and reproductive health by participating in AMSHeR’s training seminars, workshops, and advocacy activities;
- AMSHeR membership provides a channel, platform, and support in addressing and documenting human rights violations.
THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF MEMBERS
- Discuss formulate and review policies on major issues affecting the future of AMSHeR and its member organizations;
- Advocate for and promote the objectives and ideals of AMSHeR;
- Attend and participate fully at AMSHeR membership meetings;
- Assist in drafting and reviewing AMSHeR’s strategic plan;
- Attend meetings as a representative of AMSHeR.
- Participate and contribute to calls to action and AMSHeR coordinated initiatives, programmes, research.
Membership applications must include the following:
- Letter of application;
- Affirm agreement in writing with the aims of AMSHeR;
- Provide a full description of the organization, including history, aims and achievements, as well as the composition of membership;
- Submit a copy of the organizations Constitution or other founding document, certified by the Commissioner of Oaths, Attorney-at-Law, Senior Police Officer, or Head of an academic institution
- Provide at least five reference letters (2) other persons based in the applicant’s country, at least one (1) of which should be a partner organization, and two (2) should be members of the applicant organization’s target community
- Be supported in such application by at least one existing member of AMSHeR.
Membership applications should be sent to email@example.com by April 2, 2012.