|Apinda Mpako, Pan Africa ILGA|
|Apinda Mpako, Pan Africa ILGA|
The Global Network of People living with HIV (GNP+) is a network for all people living with HIV. Its mission is to improve the quality of life of people living with HIV. The organisation’s vision is a powerful and united worldwide social movement of people living with HIV.
GNP+ has been clearly asked by the community of PLHIV, in our 2011-2015 Strategic Plan, to support people living with HIV however they choose to organise themselves and bring the realities of the full diversity of the community to global decision making fora. This requires a mechanism with which GNP+ can ensure that the voices of all groups within the community of people living with HIV can be heard.
In 2010, GNP+ established the Y+ Programme to ensure that the needs of young people living with HIV (YPLHIV) were reflected in the programming and governance of GNP+ and partners. The Y+ Advisory Group was created to support the implementation of the Y+ Programme. In 2012, the Y+ Advisory Group will be restructured and strengthened to enhance the contribution that young leaders can make to the work of GNP+ and the HIV response more broadly.
The Y+ Advisory Group
The Y+ Advisory Group is a voluntary group of young people living with HIV, who have demonstrated a commitment and a connection to a constituency of young people living with HIV within their region or community.
The Y+ Advisory Group was established to support GNP+ to achieve of the following objectives:
• To build and strengthen a global virtual network of young people living with HIV
• To advocate for meaningful and engaged YPLHIV participation in the global response to HIV.
• To support the leadership and capacity building of YPLHIV.
• To connect YPLHIV to support each other, share experiences, best-practices and information.
• To integrate YPLHIV into existing PLHIV networks, organisations and initiatives.
GNP+ is looking for suitable candidates to join the Y+ Advisory Group in July 2012 for a period of at least two years.
• Aged 29 or under at the date of application (nominations close 30 April 2012)
• Living with HIV
• Demonstrated linkages with community networks of people living with HIV, young people living with HIV (local, national and/or regional levels) or other relevant organisations
• Ability to work well in written and spoken English (additional languages are valued)
• Commitment to a minimum of least 2 hours per week
• Consistent internet, email and phone access
Young women living with HIV and young people living with HIV from key affected populations are particularly encouraged to apply.
Y+ Advisory Group Responsibilities
It will be expected that members of the Y+ Advisory Group agree as far as possible to:
• Give at least 2 hours of time per week to the activities of the Y+ Advisory Group. (Co-chairs are needed to give at least 5 hours per week to supporting the group, co-chairs will be selected from within the group)
• Communicate within members’ own networks and constituencies news from GNP+ and the Y+ Programme. Disseminate updates from the Y+ Programme and GNP+ to national and regional networks accordingly (and act as a bridge between the global network and the national networks).
• Post news and information from Advisory Group members’ constituencies to the Facebook page at least once per month.
• Share information via the Y+ Listserve and on the Y+ Programme Facebook page.
• Join working groups to support discrete pieces of work within GNP+.
Working group activities could include:
o Support around work dedicated to adolescents living with HIV.
o Support the moderation of the Y+ Leadership Initiative .
o Feedback on the development of documents and tools as they relate to YPLHIV (to be coordinated through the Youth Officer or other relevant secretariat member at GNP+).
o Strategic Representation of YPLHIV at key events.
o GIYPA tools distribution use and monitoring.
o Support to HIV Young Leaders Fund.
• Attend regional or global meetings and events, when necessary, to represent the Y+ Advisory Group and the Y+ Programme.
The Y+ Advisory Group is a volunteer based body – any costs incurred while carrying out responsibilities of the Y+ Advisory Group will be met by GNP+.
The following should be sent in ONE email to email@example.com with subject matter APPLICATION FOR Y+ ADVISORY GROUP 2012:
• A copy of a current CV or Resume
• A statement of interest, explaining your relevant experience and your connection to the community of young people living with HIV (1 page only);
• A letter of reference/support from an individual or organisation that is affiliated to the work that you are involved in and that can confirm your connection to the community of young people living with HIV.
Applications without all of the above documentation will be automatically disqualified.
Successful Candidates will be informed no later than May 31st 2012.