The activists delivered a Public Letter from Organizations of Brazil’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Movement to President Dilma Rousseff.
The main demands in the Letter are:
- the approval of a federal law punishing hate crimes and intolerance (including discrimination and violence) on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity;
- the drafting, approval and implementation of the 2nd National Plan to Promote LGBT Citizenship and Human Rights;
- priority for budget resources to consolidate existing LGBT policies and to put new policies into practice, such as the National System to Promote Rights and Fight Violence against LGBT People, launched officially in the Brazilian capital (Braslia) on June 27th by the President’s Office Human Rights Secretariat;
- to ensure the maintenance of the progress made with public health, especially with regard to HIV/AIDS;
- mobilization of the Government’s allied political parties in the National Congress to reject proposed legislation referred to as the "Gay Cure", as well a proposed constitutional amendment which would include national-level religious organizations on the list of institutions that can propose direct actions of unconstitutionality or actions declaring
constitutionality in the Federal Supreme Court;
- defence of the principle of the Secular State (Estado laico) in the Government’s actions.