ESTABLISHED IN 2002, the AIDS and Rights Alliance for Southern Africa (ARASA) is a regional partnership of non-governmental organisations working together to promote a human rights based response to HIV/AIDS in Southern Africa, through capacity building and advocacy. The Regional Secretariat of ARASA is located in Windhoek, Namibia.
ARASA seeks to appoint a committed and innovative individual to fill the position of Programmes Manager for its Regional Programme on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people in Southern Africa (“the Regional Programme”), which is implemented in ten countries in partnership by ARASA, HIVOS, COC and Positive Vibes (“the implementing partners”).
This is a senior-level position reporting to the Deputy Director and the Regional Programme Management Committee. The location of the post is in Windhoek, Namibia. Working with teams based in Windhoek, Johannesburg, Pretoria and Harare, the suitable candidate will assume responsibility for the overall management and co-ordination of the Regional Programme.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Working closely and in a complimentary fashion with the ARASA advocacy and capacity strengthening teams to implement the Regional Programme activities for which ARASA is responsible which include regional knowledge sharing and networking, skills exchange and knowledge sharing, and training and advocacy on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI rights)
- Co-ordinating the implementation of and reporting on the Regional Programme activities undertaken by the other implementing partners
- Facilitating and co-ordinating cross organisational learning and information exchange between the implementing partners
- Working closely with the Communications Officer to establish and maintain a Regional Programme webpage
- Convening meetings of and acting as secretariat to the Regional Programme Management Committee
- Working with the Finance Manager to oversee the financial management of regional programme activities implemented by ARASA
- Leveraging additional funding for the regional programme
- Co-ordinating and taking responsibility for the compilation and timeous submission of all regional annual programme budgets and annual narrative reports
- Ensuring that the financial reports of all implementing partners are timeously submitted to Hivos ROSAF
The ideal candidate will have a degree in public health, law, human rights, management or any other appropriate degree. Appropriate experience may be considered in place of a degree. In addition, the candidate will have at least seven years of experience in the successful management and implementation of civil society programmes in the SADC region and will have an advanced understanding of the linkages between health and human rights in the region. Previous experience in working with key populations including the LGBTI community in the region would be an advantage.
The candidate must have experience in fundraising, donor relations, and strategy and proposal development, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team. Computer literacy in MS Office Suite is essential. Excellent verbal and written communication, research and analytical skills are required. Fluency in English is a prerequisite and knowledge of Portuguese is desirable.
ARASA offers an attractive remuneration package, commensurate with experience. This position is offered on a two-year contract, the renewal of which is dependent on funding.
Closing date for applications is 10 April 2013. Interested and qualified candidates who match the profile are invited to submit their CV and letter of interest as well as a sample of recent writing to: